And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant, then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah, if you should be truthful. But if you do not – and you will never be able to – then fear the Fire, whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers.
Qur’an 2: 23-24
1. A message we have written in English, and indeed we have arranged it well;
2. To make it clear to western Muslims that what came to their ancestors was a human book.
3. They say, “So let the deniers bring verses like it.”
4. Do those who believe in the Qur’an think we cannot bring the like of it?
5. Nay, we are able to bring something far more rational in elucidation.
6. Did not the Messenger say that the Sun orbits the Earth?
7. And yet when knowledge reached them of how the reverse is the case;
8. They denied it and instead believed a group from amongst themselves.
9. And they contrived absurd explanations to excuse their folly, contradicting one another.
10. See how they differ so furiously while following the same religion. Indeed, they are a people averse to reflection.
11. And they make between them and the world an enclosed barrier.
12. And they say, “Don’t listen to them! They are just telling lies!”
13. Was not Abraham accused of the same by his fellows;
14. When he implored them to abandon idol-worship? Here, then, is the room for doubt.
15. They reject science when it exposes man’s conceit, decrying it as a heathen conspiracy;
16. While those facts of convenience are presented as miracles of the Qur’an.
17. They say that what we have brought is not the same (as the Qur’an). Indeed, it is much closer to the truth in its content;
18. And their desire to suppress it is proof enough of this.
19. Reason has spoken the truth, while the believers persist in error.