1. A message we have written in English, and indeed we have arranged it well;
2. To make it clear to Western Muslims that what came to their ancestors was a human book.
3. They say, “So let the deniers bring verses like it.”
4. Do those who believe in the Qur’an think we cannot bring the like of it?
5. Nay, we are able to bring something far more rational in elucidation.
6. Did not the Messenger say that the earth is flat, “like a carpet spread out”?
7. Yet when knowledge reached them of how the earth is spherical, they denied it outright;
8. Or they scrambled to rationalise the Messenger’s folly.
9. See how they differ so furiously while following the same religion. Indeed, they are a people averse to reflection.
10. And they make between them and the world an enclosed barrier.
11. They say to their brethren, “Don’t listen to them! They are just telling lies!”
12. Was not Abraham accused of the same by his fellows,
13. When he implored them to abandon idol-worship? Here, then, is the room for doubt.
14. They reject science when it disrupts their narrative, decrying it as a heathen conspiracy;
15. While those facts of convenience are presented as miracles of the Qur’an.
16. They say that what we have brought is not the same (as the Qur’an). Indeed, it is much closer to the truth;
17. And their desire to suppress it is proof enough of this.
18. Reason has spoken the truth, while the believers persist in error.
19. Over them are a hundred billion (stars).